Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pumpkin Soup (soupe au potiron)

I had a left over pumpkin from Halloween that I wanted to cook up. I remembered eating a delicious pumpkin soup while in France over 12 years ago. A quick internet search lead me to this recipe which sounded a lot like what I remembered. I was able to translate the recipe (it's in French) and modify it to what I had on hand.

This soup recipe is absolutely wonderful. I was totally surprised how well it turned out. The nutmeg adds a nice touch. Since I was just experimenting, I'm not sure about the quantities I used. I'll probably make some modifications the next few times I make this.

I didn't get a picture because it was eaten too quickly. Most of us ended up having seconds.

Servings: 6
Cook Time: 30 min

Ingredients:
1 small pumpkin
5 potatoes, peeled
1/2 qt half and half
salt
pepper
nutmeg, ground
2 tsp chicken bouillon
2 cups water

Directions:
1) Remove the skin and pumpkin 'guts' leaving the pulp. Cut the pumpkin pulp in 1 inch cubes. Peel the potato and cut in 1 inch cubes.
2) Boil the potato and pumpkin until soft. Approximately 10 minutes. Meanwhile heat 2 cups of water and the chicken bouillon.
3) In a mixer or food processor, blend the drained pumpkin and potato pieces until smooth. Add the puree to the hot chicken broth.
4) Mix in the half and half and spices. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce temperature to keep warm.

No comments: